Glenfarne Kiltyclogher GAA Club

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Thursday, July 03, 2003

Match Report

Junior B Championship Quarter Final

Dromahair 2-13 Glenfarne/Kilty 1-9

Despite what the final scoreline suggests, this was a more evenly contested north leitrim derby with Dromahair only securing victory in the last quarter with an unanswerable scoring rally.

With nothing seperating the sides for a majority of this tie, it was only in the 40th minute with a Dromahair penalty that they gained parity in this tie and despite pressure from Glenfarne/Kilty they simply did not possess the resources to respond.

It was man of the match Christopher McGowan who commenced proceedings with a 30m free in the opeing two minutes, however, Glenfarne/Kilty took an unexpected lead when wing back Daniel Gallagher surged upfield to intercept a Francis Dillon 40m free with Gallaghers resulting shot from 30m deceiving keeper Stephen O'Hara slipping to the back of the net.

Dromahair quickly responded with points from Patrick McKenna and Christopher McGowan, however once again Glenfarne/Kilty regained their lead with a clinical Francis Dillon point on the first quarter.

For the following thirteen minutes it was Dromahair who completely took control, however for all their eleven attacking movements amazingly they only converted two from Kieran Torsney and Aidan Rooney, chances that could have wrapped the game that early, instead they allowed Glenfarne/Kilty back into the tie with Conor O'Rourke finding the target on the 23rd minute.

Two Christoher McGowan points streched that lead in the following five minutes but a Francis Dillon 14m free just left a point in Dromahairs favour at the interval (1-3 to 0-7).

Just minutes after the resumption, Glenfarne/Kilty regained a slender lead through points from Bartley Clancy and another Dillon free but it was a short lived revival when Dromahair were awarded a penalty for a foot block infringement to which the pinnacle Christoher McGowan duly converted.

That proved a vital score as despite exerting pressure, Glenfarne/Kilty could simply not find the possession to retaliate and despite a responding score from Francis Dillon, Dromahair earned a six point lead by the third quarter thanks to points from Christopher McGowan(0-3), Aidan Rooney,Kieran Torsney and Patrick Rooney.

Glenfarne/Kilty reduced that deficit with a points from Bartley Clancy and Francis Dillon however it was too late to start a comeback rally and a late point from Oliver Conlan and a goal from Patrick McKenna whos shot from 35m blasted the roof of the net to secure them a hard fought passage to the semi-final.

Glenfarne/Kilty: Paul Pugh, Michael Leonard, Gerry McMorrow, Brendan Leonard, Gerard Fee, Conor O'Rourke(0-1), Daniel Gallagher(1-0), Francis Dillon(0-5), Peadar Mitchell, Sean McDermott, David McDermott, Bartley Clancy(0-2), Christopher McManus, Stephen Sweeney, Paddy Clancy.

Dromahair: Stephen O'Hara, Vincent McPadden, Colm Harte, Sean Harrison, Thomas Kelly, Steve Feeney, James Fowley, Patrick McKenna(1-1), Oliver Conlan(0-1), Christoher McGowan(1-6), Kieran Torsney(0-2), AIdan Rooney(0-2), James Farrell, Patrick Rooney(0-1), Thomas Sweeney. Sub Declan McMorrow for Thomas Sweeney

Referee: Padraig Flynn

Copyright of the Leitrim Observer.