Glenfarne Kiltyclogher GAA Club

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Site Meter This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Thursday, September 11, 2003

Match Report

Controversial win for Bors

Bornacoola maintained their unbeaten Masonite Senior One B League run when Glenfarne/Kilty were disallowed an equalising goal in injury time in what was an exhilerating clash played in slippery conditions in Glenfarne on Saturday evening last.

Glenfarne/Kilty 0-8 Bornacoola 0-11

A long range 40m Michael Maguire free deemed too powerful for keeper Feargal McGill to hold forcing him over the line, however, despite the certainty of umpires and Glenfarne/Kilty players, referee Padraig Flynn disallowed the goal securing the Bors three point advantage.

On the balance of play a draw would have been the fairest result, both enjoyed respective spells of dominance, however, it was Bornacoolas sharper edge in front of the posts that ensured their superiority in this hard fought encounter.

Unlike their recent Championship tie, in which the Bors completely tore the north leitirm men apart, Glenfarne/Kilty played with the type of fight and commitment that was absent from their lacklustre performances all year, excelling pressure to the very end while Bornacoola now looked destined for a play-off position.

Brian Conroy and JJ McDermott exchanged points in the opening four minutes after which Mark McCloskey fisted attempt at goal from a long range Michael Duignan ball bounced over the crossbar.

Glenfarne/Kilty took the lead on the 11th minute following points from Michael Maguire and Barry McDermott but it was a short lived lead as the Bors started winning the breaks at midfield and converted their possession well into valuable scores with Niall Mc Gowan, Mark McCloskey, Michael Duignan and Pat Farrell all finding the target securing a three point advantage.

Living of scraps, Glenfarne/Kilty crawled back into contention and after a tenacious pieve of play by the fowards Michael Maguire scored from the rigt wing leaving the score at the resumption at 0-6 to 0-4.

The Bors got off to an explosive start in the second half stretching their lead by five minutes by the 37th minute with a Philip Howard point and two Pat Farrell frees, Glenfarne/Kilty failing to find the momentum or possession to re-ignite their challenge and their woes worsened when centre-back John McManus was forced to retire with a broken thumb following a collision.

With the resulting free, Maguire scored from 40m, however, a minute later the Bors stamped their authority on the tie with a Trevor Howard point a minute later.

Reluctant to sucumb to their superiority, Glenfarne/Kilty began to find loopholes in the Bor defence, maintaining them in their own back-line, they reduced the deficit to two points by the 57th minute thanks to three Michael Maguire points, two from placed balls.

At the end of normal time, Philip Howard regained the Bors comfortable advantage, but it was a lead that Glenfarne/Kilty looked to have snatched two minutes later when Maguire pumped a powerful 40m free into a crowded goalmouth, McGill appeared to have crossed the line, but depite their pleas, Rreferee Padraig Flynn was determined in his decision, leaving Bors eventual three point winners.

Bornacoola: Feargal McGill, John Reynolds, Gary McCloskey, Brain Reily, Derek Duignan, John McGowan, Shane Conroy, Pat Farrell(0-3), Michael Duignan(0-1), Trevor Howard(0-2), Morgan Shanley, Philip Howard(0-1), Brian Conroy(0-1), Mak McCloskey(0-2), Niall McGowan(0-1). Subs: Seamus Mallon

Glenfarne/Kilty: Conor O'Rourke, Gerard Fee, Enda Gallagher, Sean McLoughlin, Seamus Dillon, John McManus, Donnacha Keany, Michael Maguire (0-6), Barry McDermott (0-1), Diarmaid Keaney, Dermot O'Rourke, JJ McDermott (0-1), Darragh Keany, Joe Keaney, Francis Dillon. Subs used: Gerry McMorrow, Sean Dolan

Referee: Padraig Flynn

© Leitrim Observer 2003